My name is Deborah Sampson. I am a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with the State of Nevada, license number 01243.
In addition to being a therapist, I have presented at the AAMFT National Conference on the topic of my graduate school thesis: The Experience Of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren. I am also a PTI instructor at the University of Las Vegas Nevada, teaching undergraduate Counseling and Family Therapy courses.
As a marriage and family therapist my training has been from a systemic perspective. Systems therapy works with the relationship and cycles of interaction between people that may be affecting one’s life. Issues such as gender, culture, and spirituality are considered. During our first couple of sessions, we will set specific goals to accomplish based on your presenting problem. I will gather data on your presenting problem and we will work together to find solutions. I believe that therapy not only takes place in the therapy room, but also between sessions. Therefore, a part of your therapeutic process may include assignments and reading outside the therapy room.
- An assessment, which may include any or all of the following: interviews, observation, review of records, behavior rating scales, biological, psychological and social history, and/or mental health evaluation.
- Development of a treatment plan, which includes goals and objectives, therapeutic interventions and estimated length of treatment.
- Implementation of treatment plan.
- Ongoing assessment, discussion of progress, and revisions to the treatment plan as appropriate.
- Completion or termination of treatment when satisfactory progress has been made or treatment goals are achieved.
- Aftercare planning for follow-up care to maintain gains and prevent relapse if needed or desired by the client.
My therapeutic approach is to provide support and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges. With compassion and understanding, I work with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing.
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology
Master of Science, Marriage and Family Therapy
License, Certifications & Awards
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #01243
Certified in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy 2017
Professional Activities and Memberships
Nevada Association of Marriage and Family Therapy Member